Saturday, January 17, 2009

King again

If there was a best time
It was when you were small enough
that I was big on the stage of your lives.

I was a giant in those days,
A kindly king,
A sage,
A playmate
all rolled into one.

And then the slow drip of years washed it all away.

Now you see me as I am;
Nothing special.
Good at some things
Bad at others.
Embarrassing at times,
And infinitely old and grey
Despite the colours and the wonder
Brimming underneath the skin.

In the ordered world of adults
I'm no longer fit to reign..
I think I need some grand children
to make me king again.



(c) A McN


Not that I wish to put pressure on my children in any way, but I miss belonging to the world of little ones. Their world is much closer to the world I prefer to inhabit and it would be nice to have some fellow explorers who regard it as normality rather than senility.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susannah said...

I think you have just gained a fan!

I really like the way you write and I hope you don't mind but I have put a link to your blog on one of my blogs - http://outofmyocean.blogspot.com/

Very best wishes
Susannah

9:22 PM  
Blogger alistair mcnaught said...

Delighted to have doubled my fan base! I loved yours too, especially the running over the rooftops at night..

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home