Monday, May 14, 2018

Birds invisible

I looked for the invisible birds
that stirred the wood with song 
and stitched the silence of the sleeping trees.

But all found was leaf-still air 
and coloured threads of melody.

I watched for the disembodied bird
shapeshifting through the trees;
the soul that sang in notes of light.

But all I saw were shadowed flittings 
on the edge of sight.

I leave the wood with webs of birdsong 
tangled in my hair and weightless 
semi-quavers feathering my skin.

I leave the wood more peacefully, by far,
than when I entered in.


Thanks to Mike and Julie for the Forest Church 'Bird' experience that provided the inspiration...
No birds were named in the making of this poem :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful Alistair - I'm so happy to have been part of the inspiration. Julie.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Dan said...

I found this a gently evocative poem. As the speaker left the woods i found i had been left there too among the trees. Shades of Robert Frost and Henry Thoreau with whom I am jourbneying at the moment. Thankyou.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home